According to Content Marketing Institute, 76% of businesses have some sort of blog they update on a regular basis. So, if you’re reading this post, your business likely has a blog…and so do your competitors.
The question is, how do you make sure your blog is better than theirs? A common issue is that we don’t know which optimization techniques will give us a leg up on our competitors.
A few weeks ago, I ran across this fascinating content optimization cheat sheet from Siege Media. In this post, I wanted to highlight some of the fascinating insights they discovered when it comes to creating better content than your competitors.
5 Keys to Creating Better Content than Your Competitors
Here are three keys from the cheat sheet that will help you create effective blog content for generating traffic and converting customers, according to the research:
- Include bullet points. Content that ranked #1 on search engines included a bullet-pointed list 78% of the time.
- Make your URLs shorter. Search engines prefer short URLs. In fact, URLs that rank #1 on search engines have an average of 50 characters in their URL.
- Include visual content. Graphics, videos, animation, and other forms of visual content converts twice as much as static content.
- Write longer posts every once in awhile. Posts that rank #1 on keywords have an average length of 2,416 words.
- Use large font. Pages ranked #1 have an average font size of 15.8 px.
While these might be incredibly small and simple changes to make, they could make a huge difference in the overall readability and search engine optimization of your blog posts.